The Archbishop’s House was built in 1845 to the design of the notable early architect George S Kingston. It was subsequently altered in 1860, 1882, 1918 ,1935 and 1936. Historically it is associated with Dr. Murphy and has been the residence of all subsequent Catholic Bishops. It is one of the earliest Roman Catholic buildings to survive in South Australia and is contemporary with the Colony’s first Roman Catholic Church St Mary’s at Morphett Vale. It is also one of the few remaining residences surviving along West Terrace and therefore serves as a reminder of the transition from residential to mainly commercial land use in the area. Of note and demonstrating early building techniques is the rare early rolled sheet metal roof of which the one on Buffalo Cottage Finniss Street North Adelaide is the only other known example in the City.