Originally Brookman Buildings was a three-storied building; the oriel window projecting one story higher formed a small tower prominent in the streetscapes of Grenfell Street. This stage of the building was begun in 1896, probably to the design of Alfred Wells. In 1914, the top two floors were added. The building was the result of the success of the goldfields in Western Australia – George Brookman an his brother William were involved in the Coolgardie Gold Mining and Prospecting Company. This monument to the Golden Mile was demolished in the mid-1970s.