Buffalo Cottage – House
George Stevenson arrived in South Australia in H.M.S. Buffalo in December 1836 as Private Secretary to Governor John Hindmarsh, the Colony’s first Governor. In June 1837 Stevenson became editor of South Australian Gazette and Colonial Register. A year after his arrival, in December 1837, he was granted four acres of land (Town Acres 991, 992, 965 and 966). By 1841 Stevenson devoted himself to gardening here on that land which had frontages to Finniss Street and to Melbourne Street. On this he built a house and a gardener’s cottage; this building, the only one included which retains its original sheet-iron roof, is all that remains.