Christ Church Rectory
Christ Church Rectory in Palmer Place, North Adelaide, is one of the most imposing limestone buildings in South Australia. The style of the building with its brick dressings owes much to contemporary rectories in England though this style stems from cottages of the early seventeenth century. It was built in 1850, perhaps to the design of William Weir, or from plans brought from England by Bishop Short in 1847. The builder was T. Long.
It was first used as a parsonage for Christ Church. In 1887 it became the Deanery, when Archdeacon Marryat was made Dean of Adelaide, and on his death in 1906 it became the Rectory. Its high pitched roof was originally covered with slate. During Dean Marryat’s occupancy, the building was enlarged by the addition of a west wing and alterations to the study.