Masonic Hall – North Adelaide
Belmont was completed in 1858 for the North Adelaide Masonic and Public Hall Association and designed by Edmund Wright in the Roman Doric style which has symbolic significance for Freemasons. It is of historical significance as an early purpose-built masonic hall – many of the early lodges met in hotels – and is the earliest such structure that is a State Heritage Place. It is architecturally significant for being an early commission of Wright’s and possibly the earliest of his designs to survive. Wright went on to become one of the Colony’s leading architects.