This is a narrow three-storey Victorian commercial building built to James Place frontage for the Goode Brothers in the 1870's. Bluestone upper storeys with cream-painted brick quoins, painted brick side walls, painted render below first floor windows and at ground level. Upper storeys are intact including sashed windows flanking large ... Continue Reading »
These are single-storey cottages, built of bluestone. The roof is gabled and of corrugated iron. Quoins are rendered and painted, with decorative brackets at the roofline; gabled ends of the building feature brick coping. There is a concave verandah that extends across the front of the cottage. The brick chimneys ... Continue Reading »
The Tynte Street school was designed in the year after the passing of the first legislation to establish 'public schools' in 1875. The school opened in 1877 for around 800 students. The design by E.J. Woods is believed to have been based on a school in Buninyong Victoria built just ... Continue Reading »
This church was built in 1872 of bluestone with much stucco; this is particularly evident in the tower with its squat spire where, as on the quoins, the stucco is lined to imitate stone. The circular windows, with their heavy tracery, are a feature of the building. The building has had many ... Continue Reading »
Built in 1887, St Mary Magdalene's was established mission church of St John's Anglican Church on the site of the old St John's church. It was designed in the Gothic Style by R. Garlick Howell and built of brick and bluestone re-used from the earlier church.
St Margaret's, erected in the 1890's, is remarkable for its beautiful squared blue stone walls. Dressings are all of brick. The pyramid like cap was fired in one piece, as well as the caps of the pillars and front porch. The mosaic floor in the porch is said to have been brought to Adelaide from ... Continue Reading »
The Bushmen's Club was a philanthropic initiative associated with John Howard Angas. The idea was to provide a 'home' in the city for South Australia's itinerant bushmen. In 1870 the Club was established on Whitmore Square on the site of a house formerly occupied by Judge Cooper that had been ... Continue Reading »
Nos 17 and 19 Wright Street were a dignified pair of houses built in 1877-78 for Joel Ware. They were made of bluestone with brick trim and included a well-detailed dentilled cornice. The exposed joists of the cantilever verandah were decorated with turned pendants. The houses were demolished in 1971.