Mounted Police Barracks
Early settlers in South Australia were protected by marines from H.M.S. Buffalo, which had brought Governor Hindmarsh, the first Governor, to the colony.
Then in 1838, two years after settlement, when “undesirables” infiltrated the colony from New South Wales and Victoria, a force of twenty men was raised under Henry Inman. This force served until 1839, when the Legislative Council authorised the establishment of a proper police force, composed of one superintendent, two inspectors, three sergeants, and forty-seven constables. Because of the vast area to be covered, the force relied a great deal on mounted constables
In 1851 the barracks were completed. Additions in 1854 included an armoury and residential accommodation. The upper level was added in the mid-1880s.
Between 1985-87 the Barracks and nearby Armoury Building were extensively renovated as part of the South Australian Museum.