This imposing classically inspired structure, with its Roman Doric portico, was completed in 1867 under the supervision of the Colonial Architect R G Thomas.
The Local and District Court (former Police Court) is significant as one of the State’s most important group of law buildings forming a distinct precinct at the southern end of Adelaide’s Victoria Square. It has direct associations with the other three courts in the vicinity both physically and historically and reflects the importance that colonial South Australia placed on its judiciary service and the administration of justice. It was originally designed to accommodate the Police Court and also contained offices for the Commissioner and a residence for the Inspector of Metropolitan Police. With various alterations and additions it functioned in that capacity until 1891 when it became the Local and Insolvency Court.