Rob Roy Hotel
Sketches of the original Rob Roy Hotel date back to 1850. It was first licensed ten years earlier in 1840, making it second only to the Queen’s Head in North Adelaide as the longest continuously operating hotel in Adelaide. It is named for the famous Scottish Outlaw Rob Roy MacGregor, an eigthteenth century ‘Robin Hood’ immortalised in Sir Walter Scott’s biography (1817) and more recently in the 1995 film Rob Roy starring Liam Neeson and Jessica Lange.
Adelaide’s Rob Roy Hotel was built in stages which remain an obvious clue to its longevity. The Western side is the older, probably before 1850. The eastern section was added in 1881 in an Italianate style by English and Sword, architects.
It has had a number of major renovations since, although it maintains this two part hybrid appearance. It is one of the recommended stops on our Vintage pubs Heritage Walking Trail.