The Stag, opened in 1849, was for many years a prominent landmark. In the 1850’s the early inn was a busy centre and the rear of the premises was practically the beginnings of the East End Markets. Substantial stock yards, a weighbridge, and large stables provided accommodation of horses and vehicles belonging to the buyers of stock and produce who made the Inn their headquarters almost daily. In later years, after the East End Market was established, the Stag ceased to be the scene of regular trading operations, but proved popular with market gardeners and others who frequented the locality in the early morning.
Most of the current building was erected around 1903 when the Adelaide Fruit and Produce Exchange was built close by. This final structure was designed by Garlick and Jackman.
The Stag remains one of Adelaide’s most popular heritage hotels.