This is a single storey shop on the southeast corner of Hindley and Morphett Streets: the design of the shop acknowledges this with the chamfered corner. The ground floor has altered greatly, but the first floor retains original detailing. The walling is of rendered and painted masonry with a parapet to both the Hindley and Morphett Street elevations: there is a central decorative curved prediment to the northern Hindley Street elevation. A narrow cornice with dentils beneath extends around the northern and western elevations. The first floor window at the chamfered corner has a round arch head. Two central windows on the northern elevation feature shallow segmental arches with moulding above; other windows have square heads. There is a suspended verandah on the northern and western elevations with Wunderlich metal panels along each of its street sides.
The shops, along with the adjoining Adelaide Hotel, were rebuilt in 1879 at a cost of £1,750. The architect responsible for the project was Mr [James] Cumming. By 1890, the land on which the shop is situated was owned by William Everard Lucy, a farmer from Modbury and presumably a relative of Dr Everard. Lucy sold the shop and land to Vincent Zed in 1917, and passed through several ownerships until acquired by Stavros Cratsis, a storekeeper in February 1947.
It remains a family operated business.
This building has been assessed as meeting local heritage criteria in accordance with the Development Act (1993). However, despite its nomination for heritage listing by the Adelaide City Council, the Minister for Planning has refused to approve the listing, leaving this building without heritage protection.
Current status and listings
The building is of heritage value because it retains original fabric and good quality external detailing. It is of historical value because it housed a number of functions reflecting the character and development of the Hindley Street area, from a butcher shop to a boarding house. In addition the building has long been associated with the Hellas Club, the Greek men’s club, probably since its acquisition by the Cratsis family. It is prominently sited on a corner close to one of the major gateways to the city. It illustrates several key themes in the city’s history: 2.6 City Dwellers: Small business owners; 3.1 Economic Cycles; 3.5.2 Retail and Wholesale Industry; 4.3 Development of the Building Industry, Architecture and Construction; 4.5.2 Victorian Commercial (1870s to 1890s); 4.7 Heritage and Building Conservation.