The Adelaide Fruit and Produce Exchange was constructed in 1904 shortly after Australia's Federation. It was established with private investment by a special Act of Parliament at the request of a company lead by William Charlick. The East End Market Company was later taken over by the Corporation of the ... Continue Reading »
exterior woodwork Sites
These one-storied cottages were built in the 1840s and by 1849 were owned by John Martin; they were built of brick and their scalloped wooden fascia board came before cast-iron lace. The extension of the roof to form the veranda was unusual in an Adelaide cottage. They were demolished in the early ... Continue Reading »
The Stag, opened in 1849, was for many years a prominent landmark. In the 1850's the early inn was a busy centre and the rear of the premises was practically the beginnings of the East End Markets. Substantial stock yards, a weighbridge, and large stables provided accommodation of horses and ... Continue Reading »
Taylor House was built around 1908-09 for W.D. Taylor, proprietor of the Lion Timber Mills. It was owned within the Taylor family until 1960 when it was purchased by the Adelaide Children's Hospital. Like many other Brougham Place mansions it is used as medical offices. The ... Continue Reading »
Nos 17 and 19 Wright Street were a dignified pair of houses built in 1877-78 for Joel Ware. They were made of bluestone with brick trim and included a well-detailed dentilled cornice. The exposed joists of the cantilever verandah were decorated with turned pendants. The houses were demolished in 1971.
This house was built in 1856 as the Manse for the Wesleyan Church.
The current Tivoli Hotel occupies a site that has been associated with entertainment since 1846. The main hotel building facing Pirie Street was designed by Rowland Rees, architect and dates from 1878. The balcony, with its coupled wooden posts and delightful balustrade, rests on carved wood brackets. The hotel at ... Continue Reading »