Training School for Teachers
This building of accomplished Tudor design by the architect E.J. Woods, was erected in 1876 as the Training School for Teachers (or Pupil Teacher School). In 1908 the School amalgamated with Advanced School for Girls and the Grote Street School to form Adelaide High School.
The two storey building with its imposing Northern and Western walls and wrought iron gates employs rich neo-gothic decoration. The present nineteenth-century cement rendering is as unfortunate aesthetically as it is misleading as to the date of the building.
The second story was added between 1909-10.
Girls continued to attend the Grote Street schools after the Adelaide Boy’s High School opened on West Terrace in 1951.
Later the building was used as the Centre for Performing Arts.
Current status and listings
1909 - Second story added.