The University of Adelaide – Mitchell Building
The Mitchell Building on North Terrace, the first building erected for the University of Adelaide, was designed by the Irish architect William McMinn and built by Brown and Thompson between 1879 and 1881. With St Peter’s Cathedral it is the best example in Adelaide of the Gothic Revival from the second half of the nineteenth century.
It provided all teaching and administrative facilities as well as housing for the University library professors’ offices Council meetings and Commencement ceremonies until completion of the Elder Conservatorium in 1900 and the Prince of Wales Building in 1902. Now occupied by the University administration, it was named in 1961 to commemorate the services of Sir William Mitchell as Professor of Philosophy 1894-1922, Vice-Chancellor 1916-42, Chancellor 1942-48, and benefactor.
In Gothic revival, its main walling is of Sydney white stone and it is faced with freestone from Tea Tree Gully.