Life was good if you were lucky enough to join the social set that hovered around the stately homes of late nineteenth century East Terrace. Unless you happen to get a whiff of the industrial runoff from the working class area up the road, that is. Retrace the dual legacies of ... Continue Reading »
The Adelaide Fruit and Produce Exchange was constructed in 1904 shortly after Australia's Federation. It was established with private investment by a special Act of Parliament at the request of a company lead by William Charlick. The East End Market Company was later taken over by the Corporation of the ... Continue Reading »
Dating from 1891-92, St Corantyn is a significant and well preserved example of the work of architect George Klewitz Soward. It was built for Soward's half-sister Eliza and her husband Charles Hornabrook who was the licencee of the York Hotel. The house is of relatively modern design though it retains ... Continue Reading »
Rymill House is a two storied stone building in the style of the Dutch Renaissance, built in 1881 by Henry Rymill on the site of a house which he had demolished. The Coach house (which faces Hutt Street) matches the design of the house with stone walls of uncoursed ashlar, cemented brick ... Continue Reading »
A Victorian home of brick and iron construction. Extensive verandahs including first floor with abundant iron lace. The front elevation is capped with a Mansard roof with slates laid in patterns. The land was acquired in 1837 by Nathanial Alexander Knox (Officer of the East India Company and Founder of the ... Continue Reading »
This house was built in 1856 as the Manse for the Wesleyan Church.
This house was built in 1882 for H.L. Ayers for his occupation and remained the home of the Harry Ayers family until 1940. With its great bay windows and its cast-iron trimmed veranda and balcony it was typical of its period and also the most important example. William McMinn was ... Continue Reading »