This is a single storey shop on the southeast corner of Hindley and Morphett Streets: the design of the shop acknowledges this with the chamfered corner. The ground floor has altered greatly, but the first floor retains original detailing. The walling is of rendered and painted masonry with a parapet ... Continue Reading »
Hindley Street Sites
This is a surviving portion of a larger building. It is of two storeys. The ground floor shopfront has been altered, but the remainder of the northern elevation appears original. The walling is of masonry that has been painted; quoins and door surrounds are rendered. There is a balustraded parapet ... Continue Reading »
The Theatre Royal in Hindley Street was Adelaide's best known and most loved theatre. The first Theatre Royal was built in 1868 to the design of Thomas English. This rapidly proved inadequate, and in 1878 the building which was to serve Adelaide for eighty-four years was built. It was designed ... Continue Reading »
The Castle Inn, on the northwest corner of Morphett and Hindley Streets, was demolished in 1966. It was replaced by The Town House in 1972, later The Barron Townhouse and now the Rockford.
This was built probably in 1867 on the site of the Eagle Tavern. The Eagle Tavern was opened in 1846 by a Mr Doran, who advertised that he was anxious to serve "families newly arrived in the colony and parties from the bush." The design of the veranda and balcony, in ... Continue Reading »
This building is of historical significance because of its association with the South Australian Brewing Company for which it was built in 1940-41 as the administrative headquarters. They were sited near the now demolished West End brewery which moved to Southwark in 1980.The building is architecturally significant as a design ... Continue Reading »