The former ANZ Bank Building in King William Street, Adelaide, now owned by the South Australian Government and named Edmund Wright House, was designed by E. W. Wright and was built in 1875-78 as the Bank of South Australia. The building is notable for its architectural accomplishment and the significant ... Continue Reading »
King William Street Sites
The building was begun in 1867 when Prince Alfred laid the foundation stone at the base of the tower which is called the 'Victoria Tower'. The main building on the corner was designed by Wright & Woods, architects, but it was erected under the supervision ... Continue Reading »
This building, in which the Crown and Sceptre nestle so effectively in the small pediment, was designed in 1877 by William Mc Minn for William Hubble. The façade to the street has lost something with the erection of a canopy over the pavement. The Crown and Sceptre Hotel is architecturally significant as an ... Continue Reading »
This imposing classically inspired structure, with its Roman Doric portico, was completed in 1867 under the supervision of the Colonial Architect R G Thomas. The Local and District Court (former Police Court) is significant as one of the State's most important group of law buildings forming a distinct precinct at the southern ... Continue Reading »
The Gresham Hotel, on the southwest corner of North Terrace and King William Street, stood on one of Adelaide's most prominent commercial sites. Built in 1873-74, the architect was possibly Daniel Garlick. A plain building, it had a large cast iron verandah and balcony, with columns grouped in pairs to ... Continue Reading »
The Imperial Hotel, on the northeast corner of King William and Grenfell Street, was built in 1866 for Asher Hamm. Michael McMullen was the architect. A three-storied stuccoed building, it had two shops on the King William Street frontage as well as the usual hotel facilities. A similar building in ... Continue Reading »
The Beehive Corner Building (1897) is a rare example of commercial Gothic Revival architecture in Adelaide. It was extensively restored in the 1990s. The building is associated with and named after the corner site which has been traditionally known as the Beehive Corner since the 1840s. Messrs Brewer and Robertson ... Continue Reading »
The Corporation of the City of Adelaide was established in 1840, making it the first local government authority in Australia. It is now more commonly known as the Adelaide City Council. The foundation stone of the Adelaide Town Hall was laid on 4 May 1863 by the Governor ... Continue Reading »
The current hotel was built in 1876 on the site of the King's Head Inn, which was first licensed in 1848. The cantilevered balcony, with wooden railings that Morgan and Gilbert described as having 'a Chinese Chippendale flavour' has been preserved.
The hotel was originally built in 1864. It was significantly changed over time. The building was demolished in 2010 and the site remains vacant.
The corner part of this quietly dignified building was put up in 1880-81 for the Bank to the design of Wright, Reed and Beaver, architects. The western section with an entrance to Currie Street was added in 1940. It was later occupied by the Australia and New Zealand (ANZ) Bank. The ... Continue Reading »
A coaching inn called the City Arms was built on this site in 1841, kept by Richard Pepperell until 1845. The new building was erected in 1881 and was licensed as the United Services until 1931 when it became the Hotel Ambassadors. It has been significantly modified over time. The ... Continue Reading »