Content tagged with 'city landmarks'

Remembering the Jubilee Exhibition Building

Remembering the Jubilee Exhibition Building
We’ve all walked past it, watched a busker strum beside it or collapsed at its base from shopping-induced exhaustion. But you might not know that the Rundle Mall fountain is actually one of the last surviving links to one of the biggest parties Adelaide has ever seen. The year is 1887, ... Continue Reading »

Adelaide General Post Office

Adelaide General Post Office
The building was begun in 1867 when Prince Alfred laid the foundation stone at the base of the tower which is called the 'Victoria Tower'. The main building on the corner was designed by Wright & Woods, architects, but it was erected under the supervision ... Continue Reading »

Legislative Council Chamber

Constructed in stages between 1843 and 1875 Adelaide's Old Parliament House is of major historical significance both at the state and national level. The complex includes two walls of the original Council Chamber dating from 1843 which was the first permanent home of South Australia's Legislative Council along with the ... Continue Reading »

Government Offices

The Torrens Building is one of the State's most notable surviving purpose-built Government office buildings.  Completed in 1881 it was the largest public building of its period and one of the largest buildings in the city.  Other government office buildings of comparable significance that are State Heritage Places are the ... Continue Reading »

Government House

The original portion of Government House was completed in 1840 and designed by George S Kingston in the Georgian/Regency style.  The building comprises two main wings- one facing east and one facing south.  The original design was adapted from one made in London for a wooden structure by ... Continue Reading »

Ayers House

Ayers House, the last surviving private mansion on North Terrace, began its life as a much smaller home. The first section was built in 1846 for William Paxton, an Adelaide chemist. In 1855 it was purchased by Sir Henry Ayers, a prominent South Australian parliamentarian. He ... Continue Reading »

Parliament House

Parliament House
South Australia's Parliament House, one of Adelaide's most imposing buildings on the north-west corner of North Terrace and King William Road, was the object of bitter debate and wrangling during its planning and construction. Between 1872 and 1886 arguments raged over the site, and designs (originally provided by E.W. Wright and ... Continue Reading »

Stag Hotel

Stag Hotel
The Stag, opened in 1849, was for many years a prominent landmark.  In the 1850's the early inn was a busy centre and the rear of the premises was practically the beginnings of the East End Markets.  Substantial stock yards, a weighbridge, and large stables provided accommodation of horses and ... Continue Reading »

Beehive Corner Building

Beehive Corner Building
The Beehive Corner Building (1897) is a rare example of commercial Gothic Revival architecture in Adelaide. It was extensively restored in the 1990s. The building is associated with and named after the corner site which has been traditionally known as the Beehive Corner since the 1840s. Messrs Brewer and Robertson ... Continue Reading »

Treasury Building

Treasury Building
The former Treasury Building was built in stages from 1839 to 1907.  The buildings we see today took nearly twenty years to reach completion, though their unity of conception suggests that they were designed as a whole by E. A. Hamilton who was Colonial Architect at the time when it ... Continue Reading »

Adelaide Town Hall

The Corporation of the City of Adelaide was established in 1840, making it the first local government authority in Australia.  It is now more commonly known as the Adelaide City Council. The foundation stone of the Adelaide Town Hall was laid on 4 May 1863 by the Governor ... Continue Reading »

Adelaide Gaol

Adelaide Gaol
Although established as a free colony in 1836 without convict labour, South Australia by 1840 had enough lawbreakers to warrant the erection of a secure gaol. Designs were therefore prepared by George Kingston and in 1840-41 the first section of a gaol, in the parklands adjacent to the corner of ... Continue Reading »