This building, in which the Crown and Sceptre nestle so effectively in the small pediment, was designed in 1877 by William Mc Minn for William Hubble. The façade to the street has lost something with the erection of a canopy over the pavement. The Crown and Sceptre Hotel is architecturally significant as an ... Continue Reading »
Content tagged with 'heritage pubs'
The Stag, opened in 1849, was for many years a prominent landmark. In the 1850's the early inn was a busy centre and the rear of the premises was practically the beginnings of the East End Markets. Substantial stock yards, a weighbridge, and large stables provided accommodation of horses and ... Continue Reading »
At this site on 11 January 1837, barely two weeks after the Proclamation of South Australia's new colonial government, Colonel William Light began his famous survey to lay out the city of Adelaide and its 1000 saleable lots from a point near what was later known as Town Acre 1. An ... Continue Reading »
The current hotel was built in 1876 on the site of the King's Head Inn, which was first licensed in 1848. The cantilevered balcony, with wooden railings that Morgan and Gilbert described as having 'a Chinese Chippendale flavour' has been preserved.
Sketches of the original Rob Roy Hotel date back to 1850. It was first licensed ten years earlier in 1840, making it second only to the Queen's Head in North Adelaide as the longest continuously operating hotel in Adelaide. It is named for the famous Scottish Outlaw ... Continue Reading »
The western half of this hotel was built in 1857. The cantilevered balcony dates from the extension to the building about 1875. A veranda removed in 1961 was been restored.
This was built in 1856 as Sir John Franklin Inn. The verandah and balcony appear to have been added about twenty-five years later. It continues to operate as a hotel more than 150 years later, making it one of the oldest in South Australia.
The current Tivoli Hotel occupies a site that has been associated with entertainment since 1846. The main hotel building facing Pirie Street was designed by Rowland Rees, architect and dates from 1878. The balcony, with its coupled wooden posts and delightful balustrade, rests on carved wood brackets. The hotel at ... Continue Reading »
Originally licensed as the Crown and Anchor Hotel on a site further along Elizabeth Street, the current Cumberland Arms Hotel building dates from 1883 and was designed by H C Richardson for Sir Edwin T Smith brewer and philanthropist. The building has however also been attributed to Rowland Rees as ... Continue Reading »
The hotel was established in 1848 by John Collard Cocker, a cricketer of note. In September 1848, prior to securing his licences, he invited all lovers of cricket to rally around him with the object of forming a club. He had brought out from England the necessary cricket materials and the level ... Continue Reading »