Dating from 1891-92, St Corantyn is a significant and well preserved example of the work of architect George Klewitz Soward. It was built for Soward's half-sister Eliza and her husband Charles Hornabrook who was the licencee of the York Hotel. The house is of relatively modern design though it retains ... Continue Reading »
Content tagged with 'Victorian mansions'
The building is a survival of the time- in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries- when North Terrace was a sought-after residential street. It is a small, but elaborate Victorian villa in the French style, consisting of a porch, sawn ashlar stone, rusticated quoins, disappearing jalousies, mansard slate roof, with an attic and a ... Continue Reading »
Rymill House is a two storied stone building in the style of the Dutch Renaissance, built in 1881 by Henry Rymill on the site of a house which he had demolished. The Coach house (which faces Hutt Street) matches the design of the house with stone walls of uncoursed ashlar, cemented brick ... Continue Reading »
This town house was built Charles Jacobs in 1865. It was later owned by E.M. Bagot, a pastoralist, of Ned's Corner cattle station and notable for his role in the construction of the overland telegraph between Adelaide and Darwin. The wings on both sides of the main house were ... Continue Reading »
A Victorian home of brick and iron construction. Extensive verandahs including first floor with abundant iron lace. The front elevation is capped with a Mansard roof with slates laid in patterns. The land was acquired in 1837 by Nathanial Alexander Knox (Officer of the East India Company and Founder of the ... Continue Reading »