There is no doubt that this limestone church with its detailing in the English Norman style was designed by Henry Stuckey, architect, and that it was begun in 1848; but probably only the choir and transept were erected in Stuckey's lifetime, the apse being built after his death in 1851 ... Continue Reading »
This church the classic grace of which so grandly crowns the hill, was begun in 1860 but was not finished until twelve years later. It is the most baroque of Adelaide's nineteenth century churches and its design appears to owe something to Thomas Archer's St. Phillips, Birmingham, in ... Continue Reading »
This church was built in 1872 of bluestone with much stucco; this is particularly evident in the tower with its squat spire where, as on the quoins, the stucco is lined to imitate stone. The circular windows, with their heavy tracery, are a feature of the building. The building has had many ... Continue Reading »
Holy Trinity Church was the first Anglican church built in South Australia and is one of the oldest buildings in the City of Adelaide. Colonel William Light, Surveyor-General for the colony of South Australia allocated the site on Lot 9, before the ... Continue Reading »
Christ Church Rectory in Palmer Place, North Adelaide, is one of the most imposing limestone buildings in South Australia. The style of the building with its brick dressings owes much to contemporary rectories in England though this style stems from cottages of the early seventeenth century. It was built in ... Continue Reading »
This church, which was designed by Henry Stuckey, was begun in 1850 and finished in 1852, a year after the architect's death, so like other work of that architect he did not live to see it finished. It is less interesting than his other work; perhaps this demonstrates how much ... Continue Reading »
Scots Church was built in 1850-51 and was originally known as Chalmers' Free Church, a congregation of migrant Scottish free churchmen. The 120-foot (37 metre) spire which once dominated North Terrace was added in the late 1850s and the southern section in the early 1860s. Chalmers Church combined with the Flinders Street ... Continue Reading »
The foundation stone of Scots Church in Flinders Street was laid in 1863 but the church was not ready for worship until 1865. It was built at a cost of 4,423 Pounds, and the detailed design was the work of George Abbott and the builder was Michael McMullen. The shape ... Continue Reading »
Built in 1887, St Mary Magdalene's was established mission church of St John's Anglican Church on the site of the old St John's church. It was designed in the Gothic Style by R. Garlick Howell and built of brick and bluestone re-used from the earlier church.
St Francis Xavier's is Adelaide's Catholic Cathedral. It is modelled architecturally upon Baylard Abbey Church in Yorkshire England. The southern section was begun in 1856. The design was modified by Pugin & Pugin (England), architects. The Cathedral complements the Treasury building opposite, the Law Courts and Police Station all of ... Continue Reading »
The original name for this church commemorates the Reverend Thomas Quinton Stow, who arrived in Adelaide on 20 October 1837 as the first minister of the Congregational Church. Land adjoining the Treasury Building facing Victoria Square in Flinders Street was purchased in 1863 at a cost of £1,000 as ... Continue Reading »
St Peter's Anglican Cathedral is one of Adelaide's most significant architectural landmarks. The original design of the Cathedral was the work of the English architect William Butterfield, but owing to a disagreement over materials to be used, work began under architect E. J. Woods. The foundation stone was laid by ... Continue Reading »
The schoolroom (now Flinders Hall) formed part of the complex of St Paul's Anglican church which also included a rectory. It was used as an Anglican church school between 1874 and 1950 when it was sold to Hamilton Laboratories, who still operate from the premises today. The building was designed by E.J. ... Continue Reading »
Flinders Street Baptist Church was completed in 1863 and is a State Heritage Place. Mead Hall was erected in 1867/70 and the manse in 1877. The Church the hall and the manse form an impressive group of ecclesiastical buildings the integrity of which is now rare in the City and ... Continue Reading »
The Meeting House of the Primitive Methodist Church was built in 1847. Later it became the Lutheran Church and by 1881 the Methodist Free Church. In 1969 Morgan and Gilbert observed, " this little building has seen more dignified days". In 1971 it was demolished.
This church on Gilbert Street, with its interesting Gothic spire, was designed for the Wesleyan Church in 1867 by James Cumming, architect. It was then called the Draper Memorial Church, after the Reverend D.J. Draper, who was drowned when the London sank in 1866. It was later known as the Apostolic Church. The ... Continue Reading »