Education Sites

North Adelaide Primary School

The Tynte Street school was designed in the year after the passing of the first legislation to establish 'public schools' in 1875.  The school opened in 1877  for around 800 students.  The design by E.J. Woods is believed to have been based on a school in Buninyong Victoria built just ... Continue Reading »

Our Boys Institute – façade only

The former Our Boys Institute building is of heritage significance because of its association with the Our Boys Institute movement. Modelled on and supported by the Adelaide Branch of the YMCA the OBI fostered the physical and mental health of 13 to 18 year old boys and was a forerunner ... Continue Reading »

Flinders Street Primary School

Flinders Street Primary School
The Flinders Street School opened in October 1878 as the City Model School, with an average daily attendance of 593 children.  Fees to the attend the school were based on a means test.  The building was the first two storey public school in the colony.  It was designed in a ... Continue Reading »

Christian Brothers’ College

Christian Brothers’ College
Built in 1887 to the design of Ernest H. Bayer, the block was originally one story. The original pitch of the gable can be seen in the stonework above the double window at the end of the ground floor. The second story was possibly part of works carried out under ... Continue Reading »

St Paul’s Schoolroom

The schoolroom (now Flinders Hall) formed part of the complex of St Paul's Anglican church which also included a rectory. It was used as an Anglican church school between 1874 and 1950 when it was sold to Hamilton Laboratories, who still operate from the premises today. The building was designed by E.J. ... Continue Reading »

St Mark’s College – (Kitty) Price Lodge

This house, built in 1875 for W.A. Horn for his own occupation, can be attributed to Rowland Rees, architect.  In 1953, it was brought as the Master's Lodging for St Mark's College, a residential college of The University of Adelaide.

Training School for Teachers

This building of accomplished Tudor design by the architect E.J. Woods, was erected in 1876 as the Training School for Teachers (or Pupil Teacher School).  In 1908 the School amalgamated with Advanced School for Girls and the Grote Street School to form Adelaide High School. The two storey building with its ... Continue Reading »