Lost Sites

City Chambers

City Chambers
Morgan and Gilbert observed in 1969 that: 'The architect for this pleasant building, with its arcaded veranda and one- bay window on the first floor, has not been traced. It was built in 1879 for the South Australian Club, the second club of that name in Adelaide. It looks like a ... Continue Reading »

Pirie Street Methodist Church

This church, which was designed by Henry Stuckey, was begun in 1850 and finished in 1852, a year after the architect's death, so like other work of that architect he did not live to see it finished. It is less interesting than his other work; perhaps this demonstrates how much ... Continue Reading »

Scots Church – Flinders Street

The foundation stone of Scots Church in Flinders Street was laid in 1863 but the church was not ready for worship until 1865. It was built at a cost of 4,423 Pounds, and the detailed design was the work of George Abbott and the builder was Michael McMullen. The shape ... Continue Reading »

Theatre Royal

The Theatre Royal in Hindley Street was Adelaide's best known and most loved theatre. The first Theatre Royal was built in 1868 to the design of Thomas English. This rapidly proved inadequate, and in 1878 the building which was to serve Adelaide for eighty-four years was built. It was designed ... Continue Reading »

Cottages at 165 and 165A Sturt Street

Cottages at 165 and 165A Sturt Street
These one-storied cottages were built in the 1840s and by 1849 were owned by John Martin; they were built of brick and their scalloped wooden fascia board came before cast-iron lace. The extension of the roof to form the veranda was unusual in an Adelaide cottage. They were demolished in the early ... Continue Reading »

Gresham Hotel

The Gresham Hotel, on the southwest corner of North Terrace and King William Street, stood on one of Adelaide's most prominent commercial sites. Built in 1873-74, the architect was possibly Daniel Garlick. A plain building, it had a large cast iron verandah and balcony, with columns grouped in pairs to ... Continue Reading »

Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel, on the northeast corner of King William and Grenfell Street, was built in 1866 for Asher Hamm. Michael McMullen was the architect. A three-storied stuccoed building, it had two shops on the King William Street frontage as well as the usual hotel facilities. A similar building in ... Continue Reading »

The Castle Inn

The Castle Inn, on the northwest corner of Morphett and Hindley Streets, was demolished in 1966.  It was replaced by The Town House in 1972, later The Barron Townhouse and now the Rockford.

Simpson and Company Imperial Warehouse

A. Simpson and Son's Colonial Tinware Manufactory was on the northeast corner of Grenfell Street and Gawler Place. Simpson's had occupied the site in 1854, and first stages of the building were constructed about this time. In 1971, the second floor was added to the design of James Cumming; Brown ... Continue Reading »

Grand Central Hotel

Grand Central Hotel
The Grand Central Hotel, on the south-east corner of Rundle Street and Pulteney Street, was in its heyday Adelaide's Dorchester. It was built in 1910 on the site of the York Hotel. The giant facades were decorated with a complex pattern of string courses, pilasters ... Continue Reading »

Aurora Hotel

The Black Eagle hotel was licensed on the site at the corner of Pirie Street and Hindmarsh Square  from 1859.   It was built for Benjamin Da Costa.  Later, the hotel was known as the Marquis of Queensbury and then from 1894 as the Aurora.  The painter Hans Heysen was ... Continue Reading »

Stow Hall

Stow Church Hall, built in 1872, was the work of the architect James Cumming; the builders were Brown and Thompson. It was part of the Congregational Church and comprised a lecture hall, a schoolroom and classrooms for Sunday school. Again the main decoration detail, apart from the stonework, was patterned ... Continue Reading »